Thursday 10 January 2013

Brown Hare oil study 11" x 8.5"


Back in october last year i held an 'oils for beginners' workshop at which i demonstrated the basics of oil painting including how to underpaint in preparation for a more detailed top coat of oils.At that demo i produced an underpainting of a Hare and my students then attempted to do the same.That little underpainting had been languising in the studio since then and the other day whilst pondering what to tackle next whilst my snipe painting was drying i remembered this little picture.i set myself the task of completing the top detailed coat of oils all in one session,no great feat for speedier painters i'm sure but for me definitely out of my comfort zone.Anyway i decided a different approach was needed including attempting to not get too hung up on detail and so for this piece i abandoned my tiny brushes and riggers(except for the whiskers) and used a small flat for the majority of the painting.i absolutely loved the sensation of working more loosely and mixing colours quickly on both palette and painting surface,moving paint about with bolder strokes is very therapeutic and akin to the fun i have when underpainting freely with bigger brushes.its only a small painting by most oil painting standards but i feel more comfortable working small,i think its because of my background in tight detail with graphite,and perhaps this technique wouldnt work for me everytime but this time i think it did and was thoroughly enjoyable.My snipe painting is still on-going and nearly complete as i slowly overlay vegetation in the foreground,although its slow-going as i have to let each batch of vegetation dry before overlaying more.next on the agenda its back to graphite and a commissioned equine portrait of a much loved animal for a special birthday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's really interesting to hear you describe how it feels to be moving the flat brush around as opposed to other brushes, and how it related to working with graphite. I think the way we are comfortable making the marks on the canvas is so important to the final product. The medium, the tools and the artists have to all feel as one, working together. Sounds like you achieved that with this piece and its bringing you great satisfaction not only because its a GORGEOUS painting, but because everything in the process felt good.

Unknown said...

absolutely katherine,i couldnt agree more.i'm so used to finding both paintings and drawings a real struggle that this little painting was an absolute joy!

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Lots and lots of personality in this brown hair. He really does come to light. I totally know what you mean about he detail. I love graphite as well but I find my watercolours give me a real break from that fine work!