Thursday 30 September 2010

The start of a new commission


My tiger drawing has been set to one side for a while as i have a new commission to undertake and time is a little short as the drawing is wanted for a birthday.The subjects of this drawing will be a very handsome pair of german pointers full of character that i hope to get across in the finished piece.It has taken a couple of days to get the dogs sketched out to a nice size and having stretched the paper ive made a start on one of the dogs.regular readers of my blog will know that i build up my images using many layers of graphite applied with a full range of pencils,starting with the harder grades and gradually working my way through the softer grades in turn.here you can see my outline that ive transposed from the rough 'working out' paper onto stretched HP watercolour paper and my initial layers of graphite that have been applied.ive applied two layers of H grade pencil over most of the face as a starting point and now i'm working up the details by layering from H thru to 2B grades so far on the left hand side of the dogs face.the ear is pretty much complete and im busy layering and blending over the rest of the face until shape,form and tone is correct and then i can add fur details etc.there is a good deal of careful blending to be carried out as the dog has a lovely shiny coat that i want to stand out.at this stage i'm blending using just the pencil and variable pressures to acheive the required result.

13 comments:

Brian Bedell said...

Hey there,

Really cool drawings. My son is enrolled at Savannah College of Art and Design in the United States and I enjoy good art. Great looking blog. Seriously, keep up the good work and you are sure to get more accolades than just blog of note! I bow to you and commend you on your accomplishment.

Brian Bedell
http://AnAlternateTruth.blogspot.com/

Joel C Anatoli said...

I admire your concentration and discipline.

Unknown said...

hi brian and thankyou very much for your comment,accolades eh.....wouldn't that be a nice thought!
joel,many thanks

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

Congrats on the commission! I'm sure you'll come out with a masterpiece.

Unknown said...

thankyou karen,if the owner thinks it is so,then i'll be happy:-)

ikatashi said...

this is just simply beautiful.

how do you keep your work so clean?- i am left handed and it always gets smudged no matter what im doing

Unknown said...

hi ikatashi and thankyou.when i work i always keep a piece of cheap copier paper under my drawing hand to prevent smudging,some artists use a transparent film to do the same job.

Arann' said...

Hi Clive!
I'm from Spain and I found your blog by chance. I love your draws, you're a great artist. So henceforward I'm your new follower.
Greetings from Spain!

Quinn Electronics said...

Very nice work, sir

Unknown said...

hi arran,thankyou for your comments,nice to have you 'on board',welcome
quinn,thankyou:-)

Vincentmc said...

Hi Clive,

I simply love your work. Such patience and very meticulous renderings. I have been figure painting and drawing for many years and started to do pen and ink work last January. I can see that you focus your efforts to get just the right texture. Congratulations on your work. I will follow your website if you don't mind.

Tom

Unknown said...

hi tom and thanks for the kind words and your'e very welcome to follow the work in whichever way suits you best:-)

LE CHEMIN DES GRANDS JARDINS said...

La découverte de ton travail est un véritable plaisir. En dehors d'un talent exceptionnel qu'est le tiens, il faut aussi beaucoup aimer les animaux pour les représenter pareillement.
Félicitations,

Roger